When you’re studying this column, odds are, you do not have a whole lot of iPhone envy.
Consider me, I am proper there with ya. However a lot as we could benefit from the (ahem) greener pastures right here within the land o’ Googley issues, every so often, Apple does provide you with a genuinely fascinating thought for its iPhone devotees.
And amidst all of the magical and revolutionary blathering finally week’s iPhone 15 occasion, one such intriguing addition made its solution to the floor. It is a brand new “Motion button” that sits on the aspect of the iPhone 15 Professional, completely, and is ready to summon a single particular command of the phone-owner’s selecting.
It truly is a intelligent idea — ‘trigger for all our deal with on-screen actions, there’s one thing to be stated for a easy bodily change. It is at all times there and obtainable, and you could find it with none thought or effort and hold a typical command at your fingertips for simple ongoing entry.
And this is a bit secret: You do not want Apple’s newest iGizmo to take pleasure in such a bonus. The truth is, you’ll be able to create an identical kind of setup on any Android telephone you are utilizing — with much more flexibility, energy, and potential in place.
[Want even more advanced Android knowledge? Check out my free Android Shortcut Supercourse to learn tons of time-saving tricks for your phone.]
Let me present you the way.
Your Android ‘Motion button’ journey
Earlier than we dive into the specifics, take a second to take pleasure in a fast chew of scrumptious irony with me: It is the actual fact that Android permits a extra open strategy to gadget possession that empowers us to not solely emulate however really one up the newest and biggest function Apple’s providing on its top-of-the-line gadget.
Not like iOS, the place the complete expertise of utilizing an iDevice is tightly managed and also you’re permitted solely to navigate round your telephone in the best way that Apple thinks it is best to, right here on Android, you have acquired all kinds of choices. You may make issues work in virtually any approach you need, and the app developer group is inspired to create instruments to help that degree of flexibility and customization.
It is that precise philosophy that makes this trick attainable — and, particularly, it is a spectacular little app known as Key Mapper that helps makes it occur.
Within the easiest attainable phrases, Key Mapper helps you to assign additional actions to any bodily button in your telephone. So even with out having a devoted and space-required “Motion button,” we will use it to create the identical primary thought inside any of your current buttons — like the ability and quantity keys. And we will take issues a lot additional than what Apple permits and assign all kinds of superior customized actions to these areas for on-demand entry.
- You might make it in order that long-pressing your telephone’s volume-down button summons Google Assistant and long-pressing volume-up opens your system settings or possibly an app you entry usually.
- You might inform Key Mapper to make these features obtainable solely when media is not actively taking part in, to keep away from any potential battle with an precise quantity adjustment.
- You might then create totally different shortcuts for when media is taking part in — possibly having a long-press of the volume-up key skip to the earlier observe within the present playlist and a long-press of the volume-down key skip to the following observe.
- You may even map actions to superior key mixtures, like having a fast press of the volume-up button adopted by volume-down toggle your gadget’s flashlight.
The chances are virtually infinite, as are the obtainable actions — a sprawling record of just about any command possible that makes the iPhone’s seven supported choices look quaint compared.
So, able to get your customized Android “Motion button” arrange and operating? It is really fairly simple.
The Android ‘Motion button’ steps
All proper — right here we go:
- Set up Key Mapper from the Play Retailer. It is fully free, and whereas it does require some deep system permissions to function, it does not share, promote, or do something shady with knowledge — and it is open supply, too, so anybody can have a look at the precise underlying code and ensure that it is telling the reality.
- Open the app and comply with the prompts to permit it the mandatory types of entry (which genuinely are wanted to ensure that the app to have the ability to detect your bodily button presses and map them to totally different actions).
- When you’re on the app’s major display, faucet the plus icon within the bottom-center space.
- Now faucet the purple File Set off button and press both your volume-up or volume-down button.
- On the following display, change the choice towards the underside from “Quick press” to both “Lengthy press” or “Double press” (as in any other case, the motion you create right here will take the place of a regular short-press of your quantity button and forestall you from really altering the amount — which you clearly would not need!).
- Final however not least, faucet “Actions” on the high of the display, then faucet the Add Motion button and choose no matter motion you want.
It is attainable the app could immediate you to grant one other permission, relying on what particular motion you choose. With something involving Do Not Disturb, for example, Key Mapper has to have entry to switch that setting earlier than it will possibly make something occur. When you see any such immediate on the display after you have chosen your motion, faucet it and comply with the steps to do what it wants.
Now, when you actually wish to get fancy, you’ll be able to faucet “Constraints” on the high of the display and create particular limitations for when your new perform will work — like with the media taking part in instance from a minute in the past — and you may faucet “Choices” to look by way of some superior settings like controlling precisely how lengthy it’s a must to maintain the button for a long-press to be registered.
However the fundamentals at the moment are in place, and when you’re able to get your rule lively, you’ll be able to simply faucet the floppy disk icon within the lower-right nook of the display to reserve it.
If you wish to create extra instructions for different volume-key long-press or double-press actions, simply comply with those self same steps so as to add ’em into the combination. You can even document triggers that contain a number of key presses, both concurrently or in succession, to increase your choices even additional.
All that is left is to get your self within the behavior of utilizing your snazzy new Android “Motion button” shortcuts — and to withstand the urge to point out off your newfound powers to your iPhone-totin’ comrades too a lot.
Get much more superior shortcut data with my free Android Shortcut Supercourse. You may be taught tons of time-saving methods to your telephone!
Copyright © 2023 IDG Communications, Inc.