Looking within the Finder is step one to, nicely, discover issues in your Mac. Be taught the ins and outs of looking for information in your Mac on this article.
While you seek for a file on a Mac utilizing Highlight, Finder or one other window with a search subject, the default search vary is This Mac. Utilizing the This Mac possibility means the search is carried out on the interior arduous drive and all related drives, resembling exterior arduous drives, USB thumb drives and even network-connected drives.
Whereas helpful, for those who’re looking for a reasonably distinctive textual content string and don’t know the place the file may very well be, the outcomes from such a broad search may be overwhelming or tough to kind via, particularly when looking for a typical time period or a string of characters utilized in a system file. Fortunately, you’ll be able to simply change the default search location for Apple macOS Finder.
search the present folder or drive with macOS Finder
If you already know the file’s common location, such because the drive on which it’s saved or the folder the place it’s positioned, looking solely that location will dramatically slim the outcomes and aid you discover the file extra shortly.
To alter the default search location:
- Open Finder Settings by clicking wherever on the desktop, clicking Finder on the menu bar after which selecting Settings (Determine A). You may also use the Mac keyboard shortcut, Command + , in a Finder window.
- Choose Superior within the Finder Settings window to vary the default search location (Determine B).
- Below When Performing A Search, choose Search The Present Folder.
- Shut the Finder Settings window.
Now, while you carry out a search in a Finder window, as an alternative of looking in all places in your Mac for the file, the Finder or different home windows will search throughout the at present chosen folder. It is a nice enchancment when you already know what folder the file is in however don’t know precisely what the file is named (Determine C). You possibly can at all times click on on the This Mac button to start looking the Mac once more.
slim macOS Finder search outcomes
If it’s worthwhile to additional refine your the search ends in a Finder window, you should use additionally the next methods:
- Add standards to your search, resembling Sort, Final Opened Date and Identify, on the search consequence Finder window (Determine D).
- Embrace key phrases within the authentic search string — for instance: macOS ideas form:doc (Determine E).
- Use a Boolean operator as a part of your question, resembling AND, OR and NOT or a minus signal (-) for AND NOT — for instance: macOS ideas form:doc OR form:picture (Determine F).
Extra macOS Suggestions
Whereas this text targeted on the Finder in macOS, you may also produce other questions resembling:
Apple additionally introduced a whole lot of new tech, resembling macOS Sonoma, iPadOS 17 and iOS 17 at this 12 months’s Worldwide Builders Convention earlier this 12 months. Try TechRepublic’s cheat sheets to remain on high of the most recent in Apple’s ecosystem.